Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits

I'll admit it.
I've always been a little apprehensive
when it comes to biscuits.
I've made my fair share of "rocks" that were
suppose to be biscuits.
Yesterday I made Chicken Noodle Soup that was
screaming for
a nice, light and flaky biscuit.
I ran to my favorite website, Allrecipes and tried this one.
They turned out fantastic!

Cheddar Buttermilk Biscuits:

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 T. sugar
4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 c. butter, cold
1/2 c. shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
3/4 c. buttermilk

In a bowl (I used my food processor) combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cayenne. Pulse to combine. Add the cold butter 1 T. at a time, pulsing the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. (Since I used a food processor, my crumbs were finer.)

I poured the crumbs into a bowl and added the cheddar cheese to toss. Stir in the buttermilk until just moistened.

Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 8-10 times. (Mine was a little too dry, so I added another 1-2 T. buttermilk so it would come together.)

This is where I deviated from the recipe. The original recipe says to: Pat or roll to 1 inch thickness; cut with a floured 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter.

Instead, I just took chunks of the dough, gently formed them into discs that were approximately 1 inch thick. That way there were no left over pieces to roll out later. They baked up beautifully!

Sorry, here's the rest of the recipe:

Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.

Chef's Note: Buttermilk is not something I have always had on hand, UNTIL I was told it could be frozen and used at a later date. Not rocket science I know, but I'd never thought about it. Buttermilk is insanely cheap. When I bought it yesterday it was .37 cents for 1 cup! I bought 5 and threw 4 in the freezer:)

Bon Appetit!

3 comments:

  1. Ok....i think that tip about freezing buttermilk may just have changed my life! there are some recipes that totally must have buttermilk but i seriously never use a whole carton. Amazed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally didn't know that about buttermilk but I may have to do that. Most of the time I use a tablespoon lemon juice and then add milk until it reaches the 1 C. level.

    I love allrecipes.com! Have you tried their cheddar bay biscuit recipe? It tastes just like those at Red Lobster.... just sayin' :)

    ReplyDelete