Sunday, June 19, 2011

Nana's Butter Tarts

In memory of the best Nana ever
I am sharing her recipe for Butter Tarts.
Over the years I've collected quite a few of her recipes
and this gem was tucked away in a 4 page letter that she
wrote me a long time ago.
Nana's Butter Tarts:
3 c. brown sugar
5 eggs
1 c. butter, softened
2 t. vanilla
4 T. heavy whipping cream
2 c. raisins (optional)
1 c. pecans or walnuts (also optional)
Any good pastry pie crust recipe (I used the Krusteaz's brand that comes in the box)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Cream the butter, sugar and eggs well. Add whipping cream and vanilla, mix thoroughly. Pour into tart shells being careful not to fill more than 1/2 way full. I haven't had any luck finding premade tart shells and began by using premade, pre-rolled out pie crust. This time around I used a Krusteaz brand box pie crust mix where you simply add water and stir. It was great! The second batch of butter tarts was even more incredible because they had a nice thick crust, just like I remember.
Bake for 20-25 mins, watching carefully so they don't burn. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Left over filling can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

  1. Looks so good. (I have the same recipe enclosed letter!) I miss Nana so much and it was nice to see this recipe ( :

    ReplyDelete