Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Chicken Riggies



This caught my attention on the all recipes site. Apparently there is an annual Riggifest in upstate New York where the recipe originated. This is my interpretation, since a lot of other recipes call for olives, mushrooms and cayenne which wouldn't be too popular in my house. Most puree the tomatoes or use a tomato sauce, which would be good, but I like it kind of 'topping' like. My picture isn't too good, but it does have a lot of great flavor and is quick and easy.

Sauce:

1/4 C butter
4 T olive oil
1 sweet onion, finely chopped
2 or 3 garlic cloves, minced
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
salt and pepper
1 jar (370 ml) of roasted red peppers, drained and julienned
1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp sugar and black pepper
*red pepper flakes or 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
3/4 C heavy cream

1 pound of Rigatoni noodles, cooked to your preference.(I hate al dente--too chewy. Just my opinion.)

In a good sized skillet, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion. Saute until soft. Add the chicken and cook until chicken is no longer pink inside. Then add the peppers, tomatoes, spices. Simmer on low for 10 minutes then add the cream. Keep simmering and stir occasionally for a few minutes longer. Add salt and pepper if needed. Serve over hot rigatoni noodles. Serve with parmesan cheese if desired. -- I always desire ( :
Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment