Sunday, September 5, 2010

Scalloped Potatoes

Scalloped Potatoes - take horrible pictures.
Thankfully they taste SO MUCH BETTER than they photograph.
Here is a recipe I found on Allrecipes (a favorite website for recipe searches.)
I was looking for something simple, lower in fat than funeral potatoes or Au Gratin potatoes, and this is what I came up with.
Everyone loved them!
Scalloped Potatoes:

5 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced

3/4 c. chopped onion

3 T. butter

1/4 c. flour

1 3/4 c. chicken broth

2 T. mayo

3/4 t. salt

1/8 t. pepper

Paprika

1/2 c. cheddar cheese (optional)

In a greased 2 1/2 qt. baking dish, layer potatoes and onion. In a saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour until smooth. Gradually add broth, mayo, s&p. Cook and stir for 2 mins or until thick and bubbly. Pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours or until tender.

Cook's Note: This recipe is quite forgiving. I used more than 5 potatoes...so I made slightly more sauce...but it wasn't enough to cover all the potatoes I'd peeled - so I opened a can of evaporated milk and poured the entire can over the potatoes. I then baked for 3 HOURS!!! I added cheddar cheese to the top of half of the pan at the last minute. There was plenty of sauce, and they were fantastic!

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment