Thursday, July 15, 2010

German Chocolate Cake

Happy Birthday to me!
Happy Birthday to me!
This is a well kept family secret...
German Chocolate Cake IS my favorite birthday cake!
Somehow I was dubbed someone
who loved Black Forest Cake
for their birthday and I'm not entirely sure how it happened. With that said,
there is nothing wrong with a
well done Black Forest Cake,
but it's not my favorite cake:)
So, today on the day of my birth - I begged James to let me make my own birthday cake. He was so willing to go to the bakery and buy me a GC cake, but really?
I wouldn't be as good as the one
I am more than willing to make!
I won...it is after all MY birthday and
I can do anything I want including
making my own scrumptious cake.


German Chocolate Cake:

1 boxed German Chocolate Cake mix + ingredients to make it.

Frosting:

1 c. evaporated milk
1 1/3 c. white sugar
2 eggs
4 T. butter
1/4 t. salt
2 t. vanilla
2 1/2 c. coconut
1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts

In a heavy saucepan combine the milk, sugar and eggs. Whisk until well combined. Add the butter and salt, cook on medium low heat until thickened. I stir pretty much constantly until the mixture starts to boil. Take it off the heat and stir in the vanilla. Add coconut and nuts. Set aside until it has cooled.

Note: This is not the kind of frosting you will be able to frost around the sides of a cake beautifully. I prefer to make a 9x13 pan and then spread a nice THICK layer of the frosting on top. Some prefer to frost 2 - 8 or 9 inch rounds with frosting in the middle. Just be aware that this type of "frosting" will have more of a "dripping" effect over the sides of the cake. There is just no way around it...unless you frost the sides of the cake with a regular chocolate frosting, which I must say I don't like. I prefer dripping GC frosting any day to any other type or flavor of frosting on my GC cake. Boy. This is a long note.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy my favorite too. I made some brownies and gc frosting to go on them today too-- I noticed we have a different recipe for the frosting. I'll have to make yours sometime and see if there is any difference (mine has double the butter)-- ( :

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan made me a GC cake tonight and her recipe is different too! Still yummy!

    ReplyDelete