Friday, May 28, 2010

Cherry Cobbler

I really love Cherry Cobbler and this recipe by Emeril Lagasse is my favorite. I make it with any fruit that happens to be in season, or in this case, I raided my food storage for the Bing cherries I canned last summer. I didn't need any additional sugar since the cherries are canned in a sweet syrup. Use the amount of sugar in the filling to taste depending on what fruit is used. Peaches wouldn't require the same amount of sugar as tart cherries.



Filling:

6 cups tart red cherries, pitted
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup water
4 teaspoons cornstarch

Topping:

1 cup flour 1/4 cup sugar 2 T brown sugar 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp cinnamon 3 T butter 1 egg, beaten 3 T milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a saucepan combine filling ingredients and cook, stirring until bubbling and thickened. Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish. Meanwhile, stir together flour, sugars, baking powder, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until it is crumbly. Mix together egg and milk. Add to flour mixture and stir with a fork just until combined. Drop topping by tablespoonfuls onto filling. Bake for 25 minutes until browned and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment