Tuesday, May 4, 2010

White Bread

Making bread brings me joy.
Baking in general brings me joy, but bread making is among
my favorite past times.
This recipe is thanks to Allrecipes, a website I love.
It is the perfect sandwich bread, super soft and dense.
After lots of trial and error along with plenty of research, I can also
tell you have to keep it fresh longer.
Once the loaves are cooled...slice them and freeze them.
Then you have but to take out as many pieces as you want and VOILA,
the slices come out wonderfully soft and fresh!
*************************
Perfect crust - perfect middle.
Sandwiches never tasted so good!
Amish White Bread:
2 cups warm water
1/3 c. sugar
1 1/2 T. active dry yeast
1 1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. vegetable oil
5 1/2 c. white flour
In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam - about 10 minutes.
Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth, or let your Kitchen Aid do all the work with the dough hook.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rise for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes and divide in half. Shape into loaves and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise again until the dough has risen 1 inch above the pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
P.S. I still haven't figured out what makes this "Amish" and quite frankly I was a little leary upon first seeing the recipe. Once I found out that it didn't start in a bag and require weeks of babysitting and lots of forgiving neighbors, I decided it was worth trying. Glad I did!
Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment