Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Cheese and Crackers

I don't know how many of you are blessed to have grandparents still living...but I consider myself one of the lucky few. I am in my 30's (wink wink) and can call my Nana and Papa any day of the week. Nana is 90 years old and Papa is 94 years old - they've always been there. I have 37 years of memories built around them and this post is about one of those memories.



I can't even begin to recall the numerous times I'd walk through the front door of the camp to find Papa preparing a plate much like the picture above. Crackers, cheese, pickles and kielbasa. He had the "gleam" in his eye, knowing he was making us all feel special with his offering. Who knows why some foods make such an impact, but this is one of my fondest. Maybe it's because we got to make our "own" choices - I don't know?

Today my kids enjoy this - I'd like to think as much as I did. We've added cucumbers and sweet pickles - and sometimes put various olives out too. My kids like pepperoni, but I'm a purest...Kielbasa or dry Italian salami all the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment